[pct-l] VVR Hike in Options

Marion mardav at charter.net
Mon Feb 2 22:32:42 CST 2009

I've  hiked in and out of VVR by nearly all conceivable options.
The Bear Creek Trail is quite beautiful and in good shape, all downhill,
with a short connector trail that puts you close to the dam, then your
road walk to VVR.
The Bear Ridge Trail is up and over, with nice views, and some short
steep sections with horrible erosion near the lake.  You come out close
to the dam and have a road walk to the resort.
The Mono creek trail to VVR is in good shape, lots of pointless up and
down along the lake shore, pretty views.  We enjoyed spending some time
at the lake inlet before traveling on.
I've been over Goodale Pass three times.  It can be a bit hard to find
under snow, and some of it is a lot steeper than anything on the PCT,
but it is in decent condition and has spectacular views.  The trail from
the top of the pass to VVR is in gloomy deep woods, and drops you at the
car camp area about a half mile from VVR.  There are some pretty lakes a
short hike in along this route.  Connecting from Goodale north, I love
the Minnow Creek trail down to Iva Bell.  We've done it several times in
both directions.  It has great variety and is little used.
One time we walked the Onion Valley OHV route, then hiked over Arch Rock
Pass (4000 feet up in 4 miles, ouch) to spectacular Arch Rock Pass which
looks like it belongs in Utah instead of the Sierras.  Good trail down
to Frog Lake, then sketchy trail to Rainbow Lake (Margaret Lakes basin),
then ludicrously sketchy to no trail at all down to the Fish Creek
trail.  That day was a real adventure.
Marion