[pct-l] All these creek crossing suggestions

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 2 23:52:38 CST 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 9:04 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I too am hesitant to believe the benefits of loosening all my
> straps and undoing my sternum strap.  When i've done this in the
> past, i feel 1000x less stable and more likely to fall.  On a knee-
> deep crossing in WA, i was harshly chastised by some weekenders for
> not loosening/unfastening.  They were really chewing me out for
> it.  Being in thru-mode, i just half-smiled and never broke stride,
> but i wish i could have explained to them:
>
> If the stream is so deep and swift that i'm not able, (after
> thinking through the pack-release maneuver and practicing it), to
> undo my pack upon falling in, then i'm not going to cross that
> stream anyway.  If it's NOT tha deep and swift, i'm going to keep
> myself as stable and balanced as possible, tyvm!
>
> Also, with due respect to the fine equestrian, i'm a little
> confused about the physics of weight added to one's backpack being
> of any help in KNEE-deep water.  I for one have never felt more
> balanced or stable or strong when carrying a heavy expedition pack.
>
> Rebelliously yours,
> markv
I always kept my pack strapped, too. Maybe I would undo the sternum
strap since it didn't make a lot of difference for me. As I
understand it, loosening the straps was suggested back when straps
used to take more effort to open. Since you can undo them with a
single click, you are better off feeling stable as you cross than
creating instability.