[pct-l] physiologic effects of icy cold immersion

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Feb 3 10:39:51 CST 2009

On Feb 3, 2009, at 12:33 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> ...BEYOND YOUR CONTROL.
> ...YOU WILL INHALE WATER, AND
> CANNOT STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING.
> ...YOU WILL NOT STOP
> TRYING TO PREVENT YOUSELF FROM DROWNING TO UNCLICK YOUR PACK STRAPS.
> ...This is serious stuff.

Again this list fans the flames of fear. Please be realistic. We are
crossing Evolution Creek, Bear Creek, Mono Creek and whatever the
others were in the summer. We are not crossing some raging riving in
Alaska. We are not forging ahead into the unknown on some wild
expedition in the dead of winter. We do not have to be prepared for
every possible thing that can happen anywhere in the world. We are
all on a planned itinerary with known hazards. We only need discuss
the hazards we are actually likely to experience on the Pacific Crest
Trail.