[pct-l] physiologic effects of icy cold immersion

Melissa 'Liss' Cain melissa at pixysticks.net
Tue Feb 3 10:59:02 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com
<diane at santabarbarahikes.com> wrote:
> Again this list fans the flames of fear. Please be realistic. We are
> crossing Evolution Creek, Bear Creek, Mono Creek and whatever the
> others were in the summer. We are not crossing some raging riving in
> Alaska. We are not forging ahead into the unknown on some wild
> expedition in the dead of winter. We do not have to be prepared for
> every possible thing that can happen anywhere in the world. We are
> all on a planned itinerary with known hazards. We only need discuss
> the hazards we are actually likely to experience on the Pacific Crest
> Trail.

Yes and a fall into those creeks will cause the same reaction that
they're discussing.  I understand that you feel that there is
fearmongering on this list, but this is a very real danger any time
that you're messing around in glacier fed water.  It doesn't have to
be deep, it just has to be deep enough that if you fall in your body
responds to the shocking cold.  I grew up in the mountains, creeks,
and rivers of the Cascades and had this happen to me more than once,
even though I spent most of my summers in the same water like a fish.

It is a very real danger that if you fall in, you will not even think
to unsnap your straps or do anything else to save yourself.  You'll be
too busy gasping and quite likely sucking in water.  This is something
that is important for people to know.

Am I a little edgy about this?   Darn right, I am.  As a young adult,
an acquaintance died in 4 feet of mountain creek due to exactly this
issue - his pack forced his face into the water and he died without
ever getting his head back above water.

--
Melissa 'Liss' Cain
http://www.pixysticks.net/blog

"Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time." - Steven Wright