[pct-l] Fearmongering

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Tue Feb 3 11:40:10 CST 2009

I can appreciate that one might consider extensive discussion of dangers
on the PCT to be fearmongering.....however, one should also consider that
those who have extensive experience over years, encountering people in the
backcountry are continually astonished at how poorly prepared people are!

I think it is critical for people to understand the dangers that exist,
and to understand that they ARE managable, with knowledge and preparation.
In so many things in life, knowledge and skill can substitute for the
proper gear...but rarely can the proper gear substitute for knowledge and
skill.

The reason to point out dangers, is so that a person who will potentially
face them, can have the chance to prepare themselves, and thus, greatly
decrease any danger they may face.

The scouts say "Be Prepared"
Leave No Trace says "Plan Ahead and Prepare"
The Marines say "Prepare": http://www.squidoo.com/prepareformarinebootcamp

Each year at the KO, veterans are continually astonished at how unprepared
people are, based upon the questions they ask, and the gear they have.
How can a person know nothing about navigation and compass skills, and be
heading out?  This is a fixable issue.

So is dealing with the potential danger issues on the trail.  Fixable,
with preparation and knowledge.