[pct-l] Really Mexico to Canada

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Tue Feb 3 13:14:48 CST 2009

We hiked the Arizona Trail last year starting at the Mexican border (?). We
camped within a few feet of the monument at the border on the US side of a
barbed wire fence. The next morning we crossed the fence to the monument,
took pictures and felt we had started in Mexico.

Later I was reading about the border there and found that the "border" is an
international treaty zone of some kind and is 50 meters or so wide. The
actual border was not marked. And we figured out we we camped outside the
international zone inside the USA. When I think about the ports of entry at
all the border crossings this all makes sense. The guard shacks must be
outside this international zone.

Wish I knew where I read all this and how it applies to the PCT. I assume
the border fence at the PCT terminus is also outside the international
treaty zone since the US put up the wall.

All this rambling probably doesn't make any difference to your quest, but it
makes Mexico harder to reach from the PCT terminus.

Ken (who stuck his foot under the fence at Campo twice)