[pct-l] Mt Whitney permit Change

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Tue Feb 3 15:53:45 CST 2009

Sly,
Requiring a permit is a change from past practice. In the past the
Whitney Zone was always east of Trail Crest so you could hike up
Whitney and never actually enter the Whitney Zone where a permit was
required. You only needed a permit if you entered the Whitney Zone to
go to Whitney Portal. As the pcta.org web says, you need the permit to
 "exit and re-enter the Whitney Portal on the east side."

If the Whitney Zone has been extended to west of Timberline Lake it's
a pretty big change. It might  change bear canister requirements (not
really a major change since they are required both north and south of
the west Whitney area) but who knows, you might even have to pack out
human waste like the other parts of the Whitney Zone.

-Halfmile