[pct-l] physiologic effects of icy cold immersion

herbstroh at charter.net herbstroh at charter.net
Tue Feb 3 15:54:42 CST 2009

The dangers of creek crossings are real, but should not stop most people
from hiking the PCT and/or Sierra. Water crossing deserve respect,
attention, and patience, which this thread is highlighting.

I was on a solo trip along the JMT in early July. It had been a heavy snow
year, and the Sierra had just gone through a week of very hot weather.
Creeks that were normally easy crossings became difficult. I came to a
crossing in late afternoon that I was simply unwilling to attempt (sorry,
it was too long ago to remember the creek). I saw hikers on the other side
going up and down the banks looking for a crossing–but no one came across.
I tried yelling over the noise of the rushing water, but could not be heard.

I decided to camp, and try early the next day when the volume would be
less. The next morning at first light I eyeballed the situation. Yes, less
rushing water but no, not safe in my view. I determined to wait and either
cross with someone else from my side or see what others on the far bank
would attempt.

Within about an hour a couple came by and said the ranger had told them the
river fans out about 3/4 of a mile down steam. The three of us took turns
bush waking and scouting the creek as we headed down stream. We did find
the fan out point and the crossing was cold but otherwise uneventful.

What I learned, and subsequent experience has underscored, is that there is
almost always a better place to cross any creek if you look long and hard
enough. Somewhere, the river gets braided, there is a big log, etc. Take
the time to find it. Second, when approaching oncoming hikers in the
neighborhood of a known problem crossing, ask where/how they crossed. Often
there are crossing opportunities that are more visible from the other side.
I alerted every hiker I saw the rest of the day about the safe crossing
downstream.

As to unbuckling the pack, I usually do so but have often questioned the
wisdom. Unless someone can verify that they jettisoned an unbuckled pack
after a fall-in, I don’t think I will continue to do so. The risk of being
unbalanced by an unbuckled pack is real, and if there is no good evidence
of increased safety other than “that is what I was told” then I will leave
it secured.