[pct-l] jettisoned pack after fall in

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Tue Feb 3 17:46:51 CST 2009

"As to unbuckling the pack, I usually do so but have often questioned the
wisdom. Unless someone can verify that they jettisoned an unbuckled pack
after a fall-in, I don’t think I will continue to do so. The risk of being
unbalanced by an unbuckled pack is real, and if there is no good evidence
of increased safety other than “that is what I was told” then I will leave
it secured."

Herb, a few years back, I was leading a backpacking trip that went in from
Road's End in Kings Canyon NP.  We needed to cross Bubb's creek.  The
crossing point was near impossible, but I was able to lead people across a
mile below, then we hiked up XC up the opposite bank.  About half way, one
of our guys noticed a pack in the water.  We approached it with some
dread, wondering if there would be a body attached, but there was not,
thank God.  It took three guys to pull the pack out, I'd estimate it
weighed 200#

I will make a very long story shorter, and say that a month later, they
located the hiker, at home, who had lost the pack when she lost her
footing in the stream crossing, and got out of her pack before it was
swept down the swiftly flowing stream.  That approach almost certainly
saved her life...she certainly thought so.