[pct-l] physiologic effects of icy cold immersion

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Feb 3 17:48:14 CST 2009

The difference between fear mongering and providing helpful
information is illustrated by the difference in posting stuff about
how you're going to die in icy water vs. what some of the actual
creeks are really like.

Knowing that Silver Creek has been worked on so that the description
in the guide book doesn't quite match reality is useful information.

Seeing the difficulty of the creeks in those videos is useful.
Knowing that they are on the upper end of water flow means that if I
can prepare myself for something like that I ought to be ok. The
Middle Fork of the King was not unlike what I saw in the video and
that was the coldest water I've ever felt. It went up to my thighs
when I crossed. It was not easy but I made it.

The story about carrying a boulder was interesting. That reminds me
of when I tried to drive my pickup truck to the White Mountain (2nd
highest peak in the lower 48) trailhead. I had to load the back with
rocks and burn the clutch to get up one of the hills. Don't know if
I'll try that crossing a creek, but it's an interesting story of
someone's creativity.

Stories about how people died because they were impatient is useful
to teach patience. However, as a whole, that tends to be the only
information about the creeks (or snow) that gets posted here. So
basically all anybody gets is scary stories. What is more useful is
what the creeks are really like, do they have shallow areas to cross
within a decent distance? If the creek really is too much for someone
to cross, is there a viable alternative trail? If I know, I can find
the map and bring it with me.

Last summer a woman wrote in the register at Tuolumne Meadows that
there was a creek in Section I she was too scared to cross so she
backtracked. I listened to that and skipped section I knowing that
basically being on the upper end of the fraidy cat scale that if
somebody else had to turn back I probably would, too. I am not
reckless. But rather than simply scaring people about vague dangers
and creeks not on the PCT, how about some specific information about
the creeks on the PCT?