[pct-l] stream crossing near miss

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 3 21:02:56 CST 2009

I didn't say what I read, but a few comments are pretty nasty.  But I have
explored a good deal of what's in Peaks, Passes and Trails, and from what I
gather from my experience in comparison, a good deal more than the author.
And I said accidents, not death, but you can include it if you like.  Some
lady took a nice dive this last early season, I think it was approaching Mt
Mendal.  Just because you join a club doesn't mean you are particularly
suited to its activities.  Anyone can buy tools; doesn't mean they are
mechanically inclined. Catch my meaning.  You can root for the club all you
want, I just know what I've encountered and heard from trail crews and
rangers over many years in the Sierra and Southwest.  I'm also not
suggesting the SC or anyone involved is good, bad ,or irresponsible.
However, it was a SC outing that the man suffered the bear slash from
imporper food storage, and a SC outing that had the broken ankle on the
Middlefork Kings. It was a SC outing when the woman tossed to her death over
near Darwin, and it was a SC outing that they had this water crossing
trouble that could have been easily avoided.  It was also a SC outing I
believe when Secor pitched a little while ago near Baldy area.  Nothing
personal, and I have met some real nice folks from SC outings, but a good
many have absolutley no business out in the backcountry. Ever heard of car
camping?  So I'm on Muir Pass about nine years ago.  There is a small group,
about seven or eight.  Oh well, I'll just say howdy and have my snack right.
All good.  Then some lady gets on her cell phone and starts yackin away like
she's in the market or who knows what she was thinkin.  Really rude, so I
put on my rude hat too and that was solved imediately.  Funny thing is I ran
into this group again about a few days later going out over Keasarge.  The
lady looked like she'd been ostrisized and the rest of the group seemed
kinda glad to see me and was very friendly.  Hum?  So what I'm telling you
by this little story is having a high profile club sort of creates a sort of
image for all.  Sloppy camps, rude people, accidents, improper backcountry
etiquite, and approaching the mountians with an attitude of propriety.  I'm
sure it's actually worse outside the club like the father and son who got
lost over Gardiner Pass for a couple days,or the PCT'r who tossed 'cause he
had no axe, but when you have a high profile people tend to notice more, and
when you have a name with Sierra in it, you have a lot to live up to.  I
just don't see it.  What you have now is a big political lobby that has
become a bit unwiedly and lost focus many years gone now.  Meanwhile the
backcountry experience has deteriorated, and I'm not so sure part of the
reason isn't the SC itself.  Change is good, try it.