[pct-l] NEW TOPIC: Leg Curls, Leg Press, leg extensions, lactcic acid - Leg exercises at the gym

Jim Eagleton eagleton at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 4 08:46:23 CST 2009

My general philosophy is a minute on weights is a minute not training.  I like the concept of some crosstraining and weights.  I mainly do leg extensions to strengthen the knees and abs and back extensions.  I tend to reduce the weight and increase the number of reps.  I'm very uncomfortable with the idea that there are right and wrong programs.  This is a step away from saying there is a shortcut to good fitness.  Your fist priority should be to not injure yourself and second priority should be to increase the duration and third to increase the intensity.  Seems like your trainer basically agrees.

Do you remember Stairmaster from 2004?  He passed me at Pinkham.   I can guess what he would recommend.  He was a doctor.

Good Luck,
Rambler> Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 10:12:48 +0000> From: bazleyr at yahoo.co.uk> To: pct-l at backcountry.net> Subject: [pct-l] NEW TOPIC: Leg Curls, Leg Press, leg extensions, lactcic acid - Leg exercises at the gym> > Hi Folks> > I have started back at the gym as training for my thruhike, starting in April.> > My trainer told me that too many leg exercises is not good for hiking and running (I am planning a half marathon on March 15th) as they can lead to lactic acid build up.  He has only put 3 sets on the leg press in my program.  > > However, was I was training for the AT in 2004, I'm sure I was also doing leg extensions and leg curls in addition to the press.   Was I flirting with disaster?  Or was my trainer wrong and these types of exercises are fine as pre-hike conditionoing.> > Regards> > St Rick> > > > > > _______________________________________________> Pct-l mailing list> Pct-l at backcountry.net> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l