[pct-l] Whitney Permit

Darren talhog at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 16:54:53 CST 2009

I think the confusion is that there are two different Whitney
scenarios requiring different permitting:

1) Its one thing to climb Whitney and return to the PCT.
2) Its a whole other scenario if you climb Whitney then EXIT and RE-
ENTER via Whitney portal.
(like if you are going to resupply in Lone Pine or if you have a
vendetta against your knees)

As people are posting in this thread it's not clear which scenario
they are referring to. Even the PCTA
permits page is less than clear:

Mt. Whitney Permit:
The U.S. Forest Service has implemented a $15 reservation fee to climb
Mt. Whitney, exit and re-enter the Whitney Portal on the east side.
Plan to exit and re-enter within 48 hours. Reservations for Mt.
Whitney must be received at least 60 DAYS prior to the expected date
of entry into the Mt. Whitney zone. Requests received less than 60
days in advance will be returned. If you would like to climb Mt.
Whitney, include the $15 fee (per person) along with your permit
request, making sure that you do so at least 60 days in advance.

My understanding that you only need the permit if you are exiting and
reentering via Whitney portal.

But heck - I spent the $15 anyways - now I don't have to worry about
it. (and now I always have to option for an unplanned
exit there if needed)