[pct-l] Google Latitude

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 5 01:39:43 CST 2009

we had something like that (stalite tracking)  on board each vessel during
the 2007 Hawaii Trans Pacific race.  People liked the more frequent updates
tracking us along our way as opposed to infrequent updates based on our SSB
rollcall, which we also did.  Kind of like being able to call everyday or
sending a post card or a call at re-supplies.  Personally I sort of like the
idea of dissappearing when I do the backcountry, and I can't recall anyone
ever really knowing where I am other than vaguely that I am in the Sierra
somewhere between Lone Pine and Mammoth.  Kinda freaky occasionally when off
in some high basin off the beaten path, not seeing anyone for two or three
days, and realize no one knows where I am or would even have the slightest
idea where to look. Kinda cool yet a bit unerving atthe same time.  I think
your suggestionis a good way to make your friends and family a part of your
trip.  To me I don't think I'd like the idea of being tracked even tough the
intention is a good one...  Me, a post card and a phone call to Mom once a
week oght to do it.  I'll leave her an itnerary also.