[pct-l] Stehekin

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Thu Feb 5 21:54:19 CST 2009

Here! Here! To Stehekin. My favorite town on the whole trail.

When I was in Stehekin we were fortunate enough to meet some people who had
rented a vacation house right on the lake. They invited us to stay with them
and we spent all night eating home-cooked food, drinking wine and soaking in
their Jacuzzi until sunrise. The next day we rented bicycles and rode to the
bakery and all over that little town.

Stehekin is not to be missed. Had it not been getting late in the season, I
think I would have just as well stayed forever.

Of course if you are running low on funds that may help to prod you along,
because it can be expensive.

You know... You may not need to send a box to Stehekin at all. If you are
not a picky eater there is a decent selection between the Landing store and
the Bakery.

I had the bakery make me up a bunch of individually wrapped subway
sandwiches and stocked up on junk food from the store. You can get fuel at
the little outfitter up at the Ranch. Have your permits and passports and
whatnot mailed to Skykomish and carry them in, and you're all set.

Oh, I almost forgot. Stehekin is also the summer home of Santa Claus. He
drives the bus ;)

-Erik The Black
www.pctatlas.com