[pct-l] free used Pocketmail to aspiring thru-hiker (you just pay shipping)

Julian Plamann julian at amity.be
Fri Feb 6 01:14:59 CST 2009

Hi all...
The recent topic about Pocketmails being unavailable on the website reminded
me I have an old one sitting around here.
I was originally going to use a Pocketmail on my thru this year but have
since decided to not go that route in the interest of going electronics-free
(with the exception of my camera). I have a used Pocketmail that I got from
someone on whiteblaze.net a few months ago and would be willing to give it
to an aspiring thru-hiker for free as long as you'd be willing to pay the
small shipping fee (I think it will likely be around $5?). I've turned the
device on and it seems to work fine, though I have no way to verify it
beyond that as I don't have the service. It is in decent cosmetic condition
and comes with the manual, software, cable and a very ripped up,
falling-apart case. By the looks of the case this thing has been on a few
thru-hikes in it's day.

Again... I can't 100% guarantee it will work, but I've scrolled through all
the menus, composed messages and used the calculator and all of that works
perfectly. First email w/ address gets it.

P.S. Is anyone else having trouble keeping their calender closed? Now that
April is getting so close, I've found myself continually popping open the
calender to count down the days and half-heartedly taking my gear out of my
pack, organizing it and stuffing it all back in once again with a sigh. I
can't wait to get out there this year! My junky old car just broke down
yesterday and that only further served to remind me how nice it will be to
get out in the mountains.

Happy trails/dreaming of spring
Julian