[pct-l] Electronic journaling options? / Getting six months off in the summer

Andy safetypci at aim.com
Fri Feb 6 19:49:29 CST 2009

I used a Verizon/UTstarcom XV6700 PocketPC device on the CDT in '07. I was able to use the mini keyboard to enter my daily mileage stats and type journals each night, take pics with the device, and incorporate all of this into my web page using FTP via WiFi or plugging the miniSD card into a public computer. Finding Wi-Fi in towns was easy (I'm sure this will be ten times easier on the PCT); just keep a close eye on the battery meter. Using my $1.50(Ebay) less-than-an-ounce miniSD reader to send files on public computers worked everywhere else.

You probably won't need anything more than the built in email function, but all the software I have installed is freeware, and there are POCKETPC applications to do almost anything. I even have NavPak_PE mapping software and Xtide tide prediction software--all free--for my Inside Passage thru paddle in '10. Unfortunately due to battery life, I probably won't use it much. Using solar panels in the rain doesn't work so well, and my Brunton Solaris seemed to fry the battery the few times I used it in New Mexico. I carried two small batteries; one lasted four days or so (I tried not to use the second one except for emergencies) However, due to battery life, I couldn't do anything but take some pics each day and journal for about 15-30 minutes each evening. Trying to read the display in bright daylight was virtually impossible.

I bought it used on Ebay a couple years ago, and now they're around a hundred bucks. Oh yeah, it also has a phone.

Skygod

http://www.andylinger.com/
http://www.andylinger.com/
AT 97

CDT07

PCT09

Oh yeah, to hike the CDT in 2007, at our company (http://pruvail.com) Christmas party a few years ago, I did something dramatic--I gave my six *month* notice. I liked what I did, but I also wanted to get back into the safety field, or work for another company in property management. For the previous several years, The CDT was knocking around in the back of my mind, and putting it off for another year was not an option this time. Our GM came up to me a few days later, and asked me if I could come back in the winter (being a ski town, the majority of our business is in the winter). And the rest is history. Thanks to the recession, asking for this summer off to complete the Triple Crown was a no brainer. I'm only on this planet once, and I'm going to live it to its fullest. Like Triple Crowners say--once you've done two trails, the third one becomes mandatory. The PCT is calling.

any other thoughts on electronic journaling including pics?

On my AT thru I hadn't planned on it but started one on trailjournals.com. I loved the final product (though kinda limited for uploading pics efficiently etc)...........

?