[pct-l] sleep system

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 6 23:15:06 CST 2009

This is good advise about cold air.  Just being aware of it will have you
noticing cold drafts in the evenings and such.  It's real noticeable around
town here where there are gullies.  Before I knew of the word catabatic I
used to refer to these cold areas as cold sinks.  While I know the saying
hike high and camp low, I like to camp high as weather allows. So I carry a
lofty 2lb down bag and expect to sleep in my PJ's when the frost is on.
Anything beyond this would seem overkill to me.  Eat a good size supper, and
perhaps a good snack to keep the cells producing heat through the night, and
get up and wizz as the body has to keep that warm too.  I'm a warm sleeper
for a the first few hours, but will burnup calories and get chilly sometimes
before dawn.  I'm used to being up early anyways fumbling around with camera
gear and coffee and if I were cold I ussually forget once I start moving
around.  Or just pack up and start walking, make a hot morning drink down
the trail after the bloods flowing (note that this is an easy going careful
start as the body needs to warm and loosen up).