[pct-l] "buy-as-you-go" strategy

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 7 11:45:08 CST 2009

I also agree back with Brian in that you wont know until you go.  Ithink
theJMT is two weeks for most these days.  Really not a good testing ground,
well it is a good hike,and sure a good test, but not an all season journey
either. When Iwas going at it hard from spring through fall hiking in and
out of the high country, and other places, I did get sick of certain items.
And while I found it hard tochoke down PB&J after a couple weeks, I haven'
found anything that gives me a good burst of energy like that.  Or the
longer effects of corn pastas.  So in another way I tend to agree with Brian
also that while it maybe hard to get started on a big pot of gruel or choke
down that peanut butter, once I get started on it hte benefits outweigh the
feeling of uck, andit goes down pretty good. The problem is don't let
something like this effect your over all goals.  I like to say, "You know
you're in trouble when you start craving pizza on the first day." A little
extreme, but I've had it happen when I've hiked in and out of the eastern
sierra trailheads for a few days at a time over a two to three week period.
If I were planning to hike the entire PCT I think I'd send minimal basics
and plan on taking in some shopping along the way and doing the bounce box
thing as I'd be more inclined to want to go to town and launder shower
etc...