[pct-l] Natural Insect Repellents/ Bug Head Nets/A16 Bivy/Clothing- other ideas?

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 7 19:34:17 CST 2009

Gary, Iagree witha couple things you say here as Iam ussually inthe Sierra
during peak bug season.  Gnats along the lower elevationsdrive me bonkers.
To keep them at bay and out of my face my floppy nylon sombrero works well
and I keep my sunglasses on even in the shaded areas in the trees where I
like to walk without them.  Same is somewhat true when the skeets are
swarming.  I try to take breaks where there's some wind. Clothing helps but
I like to walk inshorts and short sleeve shirts.  However, Ihave recently
taken to wearing long sleeve sun t-shirts that we use sailing and sacrifice
one for backpacking as they get wiped out.  Iwearthis over a t-shirt Icut
off the sleeves and this addsa little padding and is comfortable.  If the
bugs are bad I use deet on hands a little on legs and and the backof my
shoulders onthat sun shirt where Iget bit alot because that part of the body
doesn't move a lot when walking.  I don't slather on deet unless it is
really really bad and just keep moving through swarmy areas.  After years of
using the stuff  theonly ill effect I 've noted is loosing a little paint
where I carry my hiking pole and the paint on an old timex watch.  Never had
any clothing or sleeping gear damage in many seasons.  I wash my legs and
feet often and as much of the rest of me as conditions will allow and find I
sleep much better after washing my face.  What I have noticed with regards
the sleeping bag is hair old clumping the down in the head area or hood.
Since I ussually get a #2 cut in the Spring and summer this isn't as much of
an issue anymore and both my light weight bags have washed and lofted back
up nicely.  I've tried a fewof the natural solutions, and they just don't
work very well if at all.  What I have been doing for many years is mixing a
little citronela with deet and water which to me smells a little better and
is less oily.   Doesn't last like pure deet, but it works well in a little
spray pump.  When it's really bug narly, only heavy applications or nylon
clothing works.  During the day I wear my bandana over my head underneath my
hat and that keep them off my neck, ears, and the side of my face.  Works
good in camp too where I just don my light nylon shell.  I've never been
able to enjoy wearing a mesh bag over my head.  I'll spray a little bug
juice on my hat if need be and rub some around the rim and that pretty much
keep the little buggers from swarming my face while I eat.  I been spraying
that nylon hat for what, eleven yearsnow and while it's about time to retire
it, the deet hasn't damaged it or my rain parka which is even older and was
replaced last year for a lighter shell.  You'd think the wrists would have
melted at least because of the deet on the back of my hands but hasn't had
any ill effect.  So it seems coatings and paint are more suceptible rather
than nylon.  And I'll tell ya this, once I got up into Sphinx Lakes out of
Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon and anyone would have been greatful for straight
REI Jungle Juice Deet and I did that day slather it on.  Of course no one
wants to do that for extended periods, but the point is it was all over my
clothes, pack, etc and still no problem.  I'd worry more, like you said, of
the effects of extended and prolonged absorbtion.
Oh yeah as I mentioned Idon't like a bag over myhead, nor do I sleep with
anything draped over my face. For a couple years now I have been getting
used tousing a tarp and retiring my old bivy, but that bivy has a raised
pole to keep the bug net off my face and I can sleep bug free on top of my
bag if its hot out.  With the tarp I carry a double bed size travel net that
I can sling up in many ways under the trap, by itself as a big bug free
environment for dry starry nights, and it has worked really well alongwith
my hiking poles etc...(as a side note, I use the mombasa green net and have
read and learned from experience that the white nets are kind of lame and I
know for a fact that the little skeets in N.Cal can get through them .
That's what I used last season on couple rainy outings, and the tarp sets up
as a lean too in driving wind and rain, and I've just been using the
el-cheapo plastic green tarp.  Now I'm about to order materials to build a
tarp-tent which I think will be the best of all three.