[pct-l] Leg exercises and lactic acid

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 15:37:02 CST 2009

Since I haven't seen much on the subject of lactic acid, I figured I'd share what I know.  The persistent ache in one's muscles that one feels following strenuous exercise is the result of the breakdown of muscle fibers--essentially muscle damage.  If your muscles are screaming at you the day after you've exercised them, this is what you're feeling.  In weight training, this is generally a good thing because then the body rebuilds the muscles a bit stronger than they were before.  However, herein lies the crux of the situation.  In order to build muscle, it must be stressed enough to be torn down in this way.  Additionally, the body must be given time to rest so it can conduct this repair and protein so that it has the material with which to do so.  Supplying protein on the trail is fairly straightforward.  Giving one's self sufficient rest, on the other hand, is quite another matter.

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR