[pct-l] Permits

jomike at cot.net jomike at cot.net
Sun Feb 8 20:28:00 CST 2009

I think gone are the days when I could hike freely and not be bothered by
the police.  I used to just get permits when I could get by the office.  Now
I make a point of it like a good little hiker.

I think I agree but I doubt it has anything to due directly with the FS. It's numbers, plain and simple - the more people out and about, the more rules, etc. to keep things organized. If not, the general public complains, one circumstance or another.

My experience has been they do not need an exact location, at an exact time on the permits, but rather at least some generalities. Better that than as the ranger said, not even know you're in that general vicinity. if you state you'll be in the Trinity Alps around July 15th, if anything goes wrong they'll know to cover Klamath and Shasta-T NFs also.

But you'll have to excuse me, I've always had great respect for the USFS. I think I'm in the minority.

are we there yet