[pct-l] how to eat - question

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 9 09:41:17 CST 2009

I have heard that having a full belly at bedtime helps you keep warm.
So that is a good reason to have a big meal at the end of the day.

I read something written by a Scottish guy just the other day
suggesting that large, infrequent meals of mostly fat, protein and
vegetables is optimal and that small, frequent, high-carb meals is a
recipe for diabetes even for athletes. Frequent meals train your body
to behave in a way that promotes diabetes, he says.

Not sure how to accomplish that on a long haul backpack trip. But I
sure would have loved some veggies (my kingdom for an avocado tree)
and something to once and for all turn off what I called "the beast",
the gnawing hunger that could not be fulfilled.