[pct-l] When do you get to Washington..........

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 19:15:47 CST 2009

I just wrote a note to a hiker that was not planning to arrive at Steven's
Pass until the first week in October. I thoight this would be a good one to
pass on to the hikers on this site.

*Snow is light in the Cascades this year (so far).  In '04 we had hikers
NOBO through here close to the end of Oct. Last couple of years the last
ones that made it through (all the way) were out of here the end of Sept.
This winter so far there is only 70" of snow at the trail head. Last year it
was 2-3 times as much. Keep track of the Post Holer snow reports up here.
Remember that you have at least 10 days after you leave Steven's Pass to get
to Manning Park. Don't be "dinking" around on the trail. You really need to
be here by early or mid Sept. In '07 hikers went in at the trail head and a
couple other routes and ended up having to turn back because it snowed so
much they couldn't find the trail. Some were stopped by the snow at
Snoqualmie Pass. That's 74 miles south of here. We are open year round for
hikers.  Our SOBO start arriving in July. You just have to be able to get
here.*

And remember the Stehekin bakery closes early winter.
http://www.cascadecorrals.com/bakery-cabins.htm

PCT MOM