[pct-l] Communications gadgets

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Mon Feb 9 23:48:17 CST 2009

When hiking in the Lassen area last summer, I had very few locations
that had cell coverage on either Verizon or AT&T, and neither voice nor
text messaging. However, at all times I was able to reach the 2-meter
ham repeater near Chester.

Shortly after returning, my wife got her ham license, and future trips
will be much easier to coordinate my rides to town with her. Oh, she
passed the multiple-choice test after just a free 8-hour class.

I have a list (a work in progress) of ham repeaters, and some
information on using ham radio in the backcountry, at
www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct . My radio weighs about 8 ounces. It's not the
answer to all, but will all the cell phones out there, and all the cell
phone dead zones, it's one more tool in the tool box.

AsABAt