[pct-l] Newbie questions from Uncle Billy

Bill Thoms wthomsjr at comcast.net
Fri Feb 13 12:34:52 CST 2009

With my only High Sierra multi-day experience a rapturous week in Yosemite I
am planning a PCT section hike this year.  My Yosemite hike pack (REI UL 30
- 3lbs) weighed nearly 30 lbs fully loaded with two 1.5L water bags and
filter, a week’s food, bear canister, Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight tent
mini-bungee corded to the pack– almost 4 lbs with poles, stakes, & fly but
roomy for one and big enough for two, 2 ½ lb 20 degree down bag, pad, etc. I
also carried trekking poles.  The only item I would have left behind was a
down jacket that I hardly used. Questions: Will I be sneered at by the
ultralight hikers?  And should spend the $$ to shed some weight?  I like my
tent and I don’t like bugs.