[pct-l] Tents - to Brad

jereenanderson at yahoo.com jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 12:47:02 CST 2009

>From MendoRider/Ed
There's a real spectrum opinion's on tents. Lot's of choices. Eric the Black had some good advise. I think that you might also consider the MSR Hubba as a possibility. I really liked mine on my PCT thru-ride last year. It's disadvantage would be that it weighs 3.8 pounds. It's advantages are: That it does not require hiking poles and is free-standing. You can move it around or rotate it if you wish. I did not stake it unless it was windy. I rarely needed to use the rain fly - I like to see out, at the sky or to see my horse. It has a bathtub floor and the netting keeps out the insects. With the rainfly up it is still very well ventilated - you don't get the condensation that the single-wall tarp tents can get in humid weather. Of course that condensation also adds weight when you pack up early in the morning to hit the trail.

I'm not familiar with the REI tent that Eric mentioned. Its about the same weight as the Hubba and would certainly be worth your consideration and comparison. I think the advantages of a good double walled tent offset the disadvantage of a little more weight.