[pct-l] Tents....I know, I know, beating a dead horse

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 13 18:58:57 CST 2009

I don't know why anybody would carry nearly 4lbs of tent when 1lb
will do the job wonderfully. I carried the Gossamer Gear One tent
last year. I never had any condensation problems. California is a
very dry place. It was very roomy inside. I would recommend if you
get a tent, get one of the single wall ultralight tents like the ones
from Tarptent, 6 Moons or Gossamer Gear.

I understand none of them fulfill your question of wanting a but
netting tent that sets up separately from the nylon roof of the tent.
I plan to solve that problem by carrying an A16 Bug Bivy and my
Gossamer Gear One.

The bug bivy is super quick to set up. It simply pops into
commission. I can use it to take an afternoon nap, too, or to pass
out after a couple too many if need be (that actually happened to me
after 2 beers--what I lightweight I had become!)

I heard that some people had trouble with their tents in the rain in
Oregon and Washington. I heard the problem was that when they put the
tents away the inside bottom would get wet and then there would be no
dry space inside for refuge. I plan to solve that problem by carrying
an 8x10 tarp, bivy and the A16 bug bivy instead of the tent in the
Pacific NW. Of course I plan a few shakedown trips with this system
in advance.

If it turns out I like tarp livin' better than tent livin', then at
least I'll have the choice. But either way the bug bivy is coming along.

I would get a Gatewood Cape if I thought I could use it as a poncho.
I think I'm too short at only 5'3". If I didn't already have the 8x10
foot tarp, I would definitely get the Gatewood Cape with the serenity
net and just not ever use it as a poncho, or at least not while
trying to walk. It looks like an awesome system.