[pct-l] Newbie questions from Uncle Billy

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 21:03:16 CST 2009

Yeah ! What Kelly said.
On the other hand, I used to get a kick out of sneering at the Jardinettes.
I'll never forget the most seemingly unhappy couple people I ever met who
just looked miserable.  Looked like they were trying to follow Jardine's
doctrine to the "T".  I tried talking to one of these fellas and it was
grumble grumble and not much else.  I swear  no one must have told him you
still have to do the walking part.  The happiest people I have met, and I
have met a bunch, have been mostly kids, but ussually those packing light
but not Ultra.  I haven't persoanlly met Monty I don't think, and I'm sure
there are plenty of Ultras having a great time, but thinking about it, the
Ultras seem stressed, somehow worth sneering at.  I'llalso never forget
casting up and down the Southfork Kings ford for a better crossing and then
taking a break at the ford when along comes ultra light hiker who doesn't
even slow down and just takes this wild jump, slides off yon slime covered
rock and goes hobbling off up the trail.  What is the friggin hurry?  I hope
he was OK.  Light is supposed to be fun, more enjoybale walking, which I
find to be the case, so Iwonder if some of these folks I run accross are
over stretching themselves a bit.  30 miles in the Sierra is a real MF'r no
matter what you got on your back, so pace yourself and enjoy it; the days
are long. When I pulled 30 miles once with about twenty pounds I started
IIRC not until about 8:30 AM at the earliest and finished hiking right at
dark and a little beyond.  No big deal, and I was still having fun right up
until those last couple miles where I had to be really careful not to take
myself out rushing along too fast.
Please slow down and enjoy the Sierra.  They been there a million years,
give or a take a million years, you'll be there a few days.