[pct-l] Another horse to beat: wool vs synthetics?

Charlie & Nancy Zapp cnzapp at comcast.net
Sat Feb 14 11:55:53 CST 2009

I have pretty much gotten rid of my synthetics in favor of merino
wool.  I have found that they dry pretty much as quickly as
synthetics.  I also agree with the odor issues with both fabrics.  The
only drawback with the wool is that it does not provide cooling as
well as the synthetics.  Often while hiking in heat and humidity I
will take a cotton T to wear in the day time and change into a
Smartwool shirt in the evening.  I do think the merino wool fabric is
a little more fragile synthetics, more prone to pulls etc.  I have
mixed feelings about the socks.  The merino socks seem to "pack" more
after a few days of wearing without washing.  The synthetic socks seem
to be able to hold their cushion a bit longer.  For both types of
socks I end up with toe nail cuts in the toes at about the same rate.
This always seems more prevalent when hiking with wet feet.  Having
said all that I have become a wool person.  Of the brands on the
market I have had the best performance with the Smartwool brand.
Piece of Work