[pct-l] Whitewater river and the trout farm

Dana Law mindreader at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 12:26:20 CST 2009

Kenneth,

I have been hiking the PCT in sections for 6 years.  We just got to Lake
Tahoe in August. Our 23rd section from Campo.

I don't know the current trout farms opinion on hikers but I wanted to tell
you about our experience there about 4 years ago.  We ran into a
worker/manager of the place and after a mild warning he let us cross from
their side back to the trail.  We had stopped at previous section in a dry
month.  Well that was a really wet year.  You may remember it

In nearly 1100 miles that was the worst river crossing I've had and it isn't
even on the trail.  Both sides of the trail are very sandy.  There are big
boulders stuck in the sand like malt balls in ice cream. One got dislodged
and nearly crushed my foot.

I'd never crossed a river before then and it was scary.  I hope it is low
when you cross.  Wait for it to be so.  Right now with the rains I am sure
it is terrifying.

Another important note.  Make sure you get your bearings about where the
trail is on the other side.  We had to set a way point on my hiking partners
GPS. When you start traveling north you have to look for the posts to help
you cross the flood plain.  See the handbook for further instructions.

Don't want to scare you off.  The PCT has been the adventure of my life.

Sincerely.
Dana Law
El Cajon, Ca
619-444-2002