[pct-l] dogs on the trail (Long)

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sat Feb 14 18:27:25 CST 2009

Carolyn Eddy wrote:
> Llamas don't like dogs even if they are very familiar with them. They are
> used as guard animals for goats and do a great job.
>
> "Sweet Goat Mama"
> Carolyn Eddy

The real truth is, the average llama doesn't actually like anybody.  Not
their people, not dogs, not each other.  Especially the stud llamas I
pack with.  However, my llamas tolerate the dog walking right at their
heels and sleeping with her body right next to theirs at night.  She
will also flop right down next to them when they lay down on a daytime
trail break.  They don't care.
My llamas will try to stomp an aggressive dog and I have seen them, when
loose in a pasture, drop their head and charge an aggressive dog.  The
dog turned tail and ran for his life.  Llamas are great bluffers, which
is why they are used to guard herds of sheep from predators.
Male llamas are constantly playing dominance games with one another, and
spitting on each other is one of their main tactics.  If a llama is
spitting on you he is either treating you as a lesser llama or is
expressing his displeasure at your presence, or because you have just
caused him pain or he thinks, from prior experience, that you are about
to cause him pain.  We get spit on frequently when we are shearing or
giving vaccinations.  Some llamas won't tolerate being touched at all,
and spit almost as a reflex.  Other llamas we own will allow us to touch
them almost anywhere and have never spit on us, not even once.
Marion