[pct-l] Not a tarp or a tent, it's a pyramid shelter

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Feb 16 17:22:55 CST 2009

I've owned and carried many forms of shelters over the last 40 years. In
1976, I carried a tarp on my short PCT hike. From that one pound tarp I've
added to my gear closet a great 12 lb winter geodesic dome tent that fits
four, a Sierra Designs Wilderness, a gortex bivy bag,  a Chouinard Pyramid
shelter, a Bibler, a North Face Westwind, an Integral Designs silshelter,
and recently I've carried the ultralight Shires tarptent Squall and Rainbow
shelters. I have had my share of bad rain and windstorms in my tarps, bivy,
Squall and Rainbow, and this year I'm moving into a Mountain Laurel Design
Duomid pyramid style shelter. The pyramid is a very ancient sturdy design
that goes back to Egypt and one the plains Indian's chose for their teepees.
Although, I can't lay in bed and see the stars, I may be able to receive
cosmic waves from space; but when the skies open up with rain and the winds
go insane, my 15 ounce Duomid will hold firm and stay in place, and I'll be
safe inside.
http://mountainlaureldesigns.com/