[pct-l] Map and Guide feedback request

Katalina Jimenez katalinajime at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:17:17 CST 2009

Hi Erik the Black,

Will your PCT Atlas be on sale at the kickoff?

Katalina
PCT 2009 hopeful> From: erik at eriktheblack.com> To: pct-l at backcountry.net> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:12:45 -0800> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Map and Guide feedback request> > Hi Stephen,> > I'm hard at work putting the final touches on the Pacific Crest Trail Atlas> 2nd Edition for this year's hikers. The PCT Atlas is a set of five> lightweight guidebooks featuring full-color maps for the entire PCT, town> maps, elevation profiles, data table, water sources, and basically> everything a long distance hiker could ask for in the way of navigation> info. > > The difference between the PCT Atlas the Wilderness Press guidebooks is that> the WP guides use long written paragraphs to describe the trail and the> Atlas uses a more visual approach. If you are the kind of person who likes> to read a lot, you will want to get the WP books. If you are the kind of> person who likes to look at pictures, the Atlas should better suit your> needs.> > You are correct that Yogi's book is not a navigation book, but I still> highly recommend it. There is no better book for pre-hike planning and> resupply strategy than Yogi's book. If you combine it with the PCT Atlas you> will not need anything else. > > The section you are planning from VVR to Timberline, OR is covered in PCT> Atlas Volumes 2, 3 and 4, which covers the PCT in Central California,> Northern California and Oregon.> > Volumes 1 and 2 will begin shipping in March or early April and Volumes 3,4> and 5 in June. I began accepting pre orders a month ago and about half of> this year's thru hikers have already ordered their copies.> > If you have any questions, feel free to email me. You can also go to my> website and download a free chapter that you can print out on your home> computer. In my opinion a picture is worth a thousand words, and the free> chapter shows what the PCT Atlas is all about way better than I could ever> explain it.> > Here is the link:> > http://www.pctatlas.com> > > Happy Trails!> Erik The Black> Author & Publisher > Pacific Crest Trail Atlas> > > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------> > I haven't purchased any guide literature or maps yet for the long section I> am planning. VVR to Timberline OR.> I read a couple reviews on the basic Pacific Crest Trail books and all> suggest rather dated material. Also don't see the new PCT maps covering> N.Cal that I would like to have. I know nothing of Yogi's book, but am> under the impression it is more orientated towards towns and services> available along the way. I'd like to know what others think so Idon't have> tobuy a bunch of stuff and pick through it if it can be avoided. I have> Jardine's book from back in the day which I have been using to set basic> itenerary for myself and pick my resupplies. I'm familliar with the Sierra> through to Sonora Pass, and those sections I have not hiked I have maps for.> It's from there north I'd like to read up on and I understand there are some> dry stretches besides Hat Creek Rim I need to be prepared for. > So I'd just like hear some feedback from those familliar with what's out> there. > Resupply points I have been to or used are VVR, Tuolumne, Sierra City, Old> Station, Burney Falls store.> Thanks,> Stephen > > ------------------------------> > _______________________________________________> Pct-l mailing list> Pct-l at backcountry.net> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l