[pct-l] water filters

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 00:52:30 CST 2009

Yeah I'd like to hear too.  Seems there are these gravity bags set up with
like an MSR type filter that are lighter than carrying the pump.  IMO seems
kinda slow.  I still use my old PUR Hiker which I believe is marketed  by
Katadyn now.  To save weight in the Sierra I have been just drinking the
water in places and treating in others.  I've been more careful just
starting a trip versus short trips or when hiking out, then I can be more
careless, but haven't had a problem in lots of years.  But for getting a
couple bottles of water supposedly filtered reasonably quick I like the PUR
Hiker.  And while I think it is a good thing to have in many places, in
others I am pretty well convinced filters are a lot of marketing hype.  I am
more inclined to believe chemical treatment actually does something to
prevent something like Giardiasis (spell?).  But for goodness sake, I am not
suggesting folks just drink whatever water looks pristine.  But my
experience makes me wonder sometimes.  If you aren't sure, take the safe
course and filter or treat.
but I'd sure like to know if anyone shares my experience.
I've got my new pack on the way, some other gear and am now looking at this
subject and how I intend to contend with it also.