[pct-l] need input on start date decision

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 01:25:02 CST 2009

Darren wrote:
"I am trying to nail down my start date and could use some input. I
plan to attend the kick-off so my inclination is to start then.  I
plan to do lower mileage the first week or two and I am concerned
about how being at the back of the pack will affect my experience in
towns and at caches. I plan to primarily buy as I go. Anyone have
experience hiking the back of the pack who can tell me if this
effected you negatively?"

Hi Darren.  I started last year the day after the Kickoff (got a ride
from one of the many kind strangers there to Campo), and had
essentially no problem.  Admittedly, I had a lot of resupply boxes,
but apart from some quite temporary shortages at the first stop (Mt.
Laguna store), I don't recall seeing anything in short supply --- the
herd thins out, and it really did seem to me that the early-on trail
town stores were well aware of the herd.   I make no promises of
course (!), but I would just start the day you're inclined to start.

You might do a domain constrained google search on the archives, as I
recall this being discussed last year; surely the various points of
view from then will be equally valid now.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle