[pct-l] Dogs on trail

Andrew Jones a.freddy.j at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 07:33:23 CST 2009

Fuzz-

I can understand the large national parks - I actually agree that dogs
shouldn't be allowed in the backcountry. They probably do disturb wildlife -
that said, I guess people shouldn't really be allowed out there either, if
you truly want to maintain a natural setting! You could use the same logic
to exclude dogs from wilderness areas and some national forest land, since
much of this is just as secluded as national park backcountry. I hope that
doesn't happen, because that would certainly put a damper on Uffizi's hiking
career.

I do like the rule for North Cascades NP - dogs are allowed there, just
along the PCT. I don't really understand the rule in Cal State Parks (dogs
aren't allowed on almost all off-road areas). There are some fairly remote
places in these parks, but nothing like the national parks - I would like to
eventually see a clause for dogs along the PCT through these areas, because
there are a lot of them.

Andy