[pct-l] Snow Prep Course Concern

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Wed Feb 18 12:51:42 CST 2009

Phil,

I am sharing my reply to the L because your situation is somewhat typical of so many thru hikers' and is why this Course is being offered.

The fact that you're aware you need the experience and that it would build your confidence, extend your hiking season, and minimize your exposure to snow-related challenges shows thoroughness in your preparation and maturity in your foresight. At least you're not running blindly into your trip hoping that you'll be able to learn as you go from others along the way only to find that they're not there when you need them or the risks are greater than you thought they'd be because you didn't bring some thing or skill which you suddenly find that you need.

You say you're not prepared for a snow travel and camping course because of equipment issues and your plan will be to try to avoid snow wherever possible. This plan is always the first rule, avoidance, but not always possible as many will attest who have traveled the Sierra. This is one reason why the Snow Course is offered and why you were originally interested in it, to be prepared to skillfully travel over snow with greater confidence and safety when you can't avoid it.

Equipment-wise, the only items lacking from summer to winter are clothing layers and snowshoes, at least for this course. Snowshoes can be rented. Whatever else you don't have now will also have to do when you run into that snowfield in the Sierra you can't go around.

The other reason the Snow Course is offered is to test your systems as chosen for your thru (clothing, food, shelter, gear, etc.) to see if you are  adequately prepared for snow-related challenges before they face you out on the trail and you suddenly find your safety may be at risk.

What we are offering, here, is an opportunity for hikers to learn how to safely extend their hiking skills onto the snow. Thru hikers are given the chance to test themselves and equipment in winter/spring snow conditions under guidance and supervision using the skills and gear they expect to need during their 3 to 5-month mountainous journeys. Many realize that they were not aware of snow-related challenges, that they could just "deal with it," and with a little re-tooling of clothing and gear based on their individual abilities and desires that their confidence increased and there was less doubt, uncertainty, or fear.

Training or experience builds confidence which allows fun and enjoyment. "Learn before you go" decreases the risks inherent with "learn as you go."

If you can make the Course, it can only help the pleasure you'll get out of your future outings.

Mtnned