[pct-l] trail journals

patti kulesz peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 15:00:30 CST 2009

that's really good advice...but I too need to make a comment about this...

on the VVR site is a link for a pretty long video of some guys who did the PCT quite some time ago. They were both very inexperienced backpackers from what I got out of the video. Anyways...one of them decided he wasn't using his fleece much and mailed it ahead...well wouldn't u know it...he was cold the entire time after that and got so tired of being cold he left the trail like 90 miles from the CA border.

For one...for only another 90 miles after all teh other ones I've already hiked...I would have kept on going...what's another 90 miles of cold...

but most importantly...his fleece is one of the 10 essentials. Now I know all u ultra liters are saying o whatever..grams ...ounces...blah blah blah...well being someone that hikes alot alone and likes to go off the beaten path on many occassion and explore...not to mention having manyunfortunates happen as well while hiking...I have learned the hard way that it is important to ALWAYS carry certain items...ur 10 (or in my case 12) essentials. One never knows what may happen. Reading a journal from last year doesn't tell u what the weather will be like this year or whether or not u will get lost or hurt and end up stuck somewhere on the trail alone, cold and suffering for days.

I don't know...take it or leave it...just my opinion and u know what they say about other peoples opinions...

patti