[pct-l] Thoughts please: most "efficient" thru

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 12:50:16 CST 2009

There's still time before we will know the snow level in the Sierra.  If
it's going to be low, a little snow won't make that much difference compared
to the travel time and logistics of a double flip.  South to north may be
faster.

If you hike fast enough, and just want to complete the trail faster, just
start some time in May.

In 2005 snow was very high in the Sierra and very low up north.  Hikers had
a good reason to flip.  Ashland was a popular choice.  I flipped to Manning
and hiked south from there on June 15th.  Washington snow was very, very
low.  I'd wait for the snow to fall, though, before making a decision to
flip if that's what you are leaning toward.

Lightweight Backpacking
The fun goes up when the weight goes down
-Warner Springs Monty