[pct-l] Trail Running Shoes so great?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 20 23:02:36 CST 2009

On Feb 20, 2009, at 8:23 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com wrote:
>> I guess I'm still trying to figure out how come about 75% of thru
>> hikers
>> leave the trail....
You think it's trail runners?

People who leave the trail in the first couple of hundred miles
probably were not prepared physically or mentally or both. People who
have made it through the Sierra are probably feeling lonely for
family and home and overwhelmed with how much distance is left to go.

The PCT is more a mental game than a physical one. As soon as home
starts calling you, if you can't find a reason to continue, you'll
just go home.

But don't think going home is a bad thing or a failure. Many of us go
on the trail seeking a spiritual experience and once it has been had,
we know the right time to go home.