[pct-l] Heroism & Bravery?

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 21 01:45:44 CST 2009

That's the point Scott.  Live and learn.
But first of all, posting your experience makes you a hero to at least Ned
and myself I think but of course I can only speak for myself,  because you
write here for many to see how looking back what went wrong.  You expressed
personal bravery in trying to gut it out until you realized things were not
going to work out the way you expected or hoped and backed out and cruised
on home before creating an unsafe decission and getting out too far to get
back on your own.
This is one of the reasons I have liked Ray Jardine's book on the PCT as he
addresses these physical and mental issues and personal safety.  He also
says much regarding expectations and how they are folly.  And while I am not
a thru-hiker, I do hike a lot, and mostly alone, so much of what he writes
about I have applied even if I am not an UL long distance hiker.  I've still
done more than my share of long tiring days in the backcountry back to back
and spent weeks and months depending on my skills, physical abilities, and
mental instability (sense of humor) to keep things in perspective.
Sometimes, like Diane suggested so eloquently, you just know it's time to go
home, and when you are sitting on a 12,000 ft pass writing in your journal
with tears welling up there is a certain amount of bravery that follows as
you put things back in the pack for who knows, maybe the last time, and are
able to smile as you walk down the long hill to the last trailhead and home.
I've had occasion to climb many of the high Sierra peaks.  I've also had the
oppertunity to get way out there only to become really uncomfortable being
hung out not knowing why it just doesn't feel right and walked away.  It
took three trips over Sphinx Col to eventually cross the basin and climb Mt
Brewer.  three times I intended to Climb Mt Hilgard and did so the third
pass.   I've been on my way to climb Mt Sill twice and turned back both
times feeling stranded out in the talus fields below North Pallisade just
wiped out. Me and the rocks don't always get along so good. Seems the maps
are flat and the mountains are not. Nothing wrong with a little healthy
humility.  I wish I could figure out what all those squigly lines on the
maps are supposed to represent?
Anyway, you catch my drift.  Brave folks go out and try, take risks and live
with failure and success.  Heros use this experience to enrich the lives of
others.