[pct-l] Contemporary Thru Hiking

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Sun Feb 22 18:43:42 CST 2009

Thanks, Jeff, for the heart-felt reply. I ask this question all the time. My experience was so incredible that I want everyone to have one like it. But these days, my style seems to have faded away to various individual limitations and desires like not enough time, a greater desire to party, the ultralight challenge, speed-hiking, and so forth.

It took me two years to plan my hike, between 1972 and '74. I really got into it, enjoyed it, and, by the time the journey started, I knew every inch of the trail, what I would see, what it would take, and had crazy desire to finally see it all and to go all the way. Of course, reality throws challenges and schedules get changed, but if you are flexible and creative, barring actual physical injury, you'll enjoy every bit of it. My motivation was to reach Canada, see and soak it all in, and take as much time as safely possible, so I didn't miss anything. I carried all the luxuries I could so I could enjoy the campsite as well as the trail. I averaged 17 miles per day from March 14th to Sept. 2nd, had only one 30 mile day (up to Snoqualmie Pass to receive a driven-in resupply box-had to be there at an exact time), and took a day off on-trail every 5th day or so to do side hikes, go swimming, wash clothes in camp, climb a peak, or do photographic essays on the wilderness I was so blessed to be able to live in for awhile.

In 2006, when I joined some of the "herd" out of KM on up to Chicken Spring to teach creek crossing and self-arrest techniques, I found many to be disillusioned with what thru hiking was all about. Some of these chose to leave the trail.

What I want to know is why is it that people desire to thru hike these days, has it changed any over the years, and does the drop-out rate reflect a lack of realistic preparation and desire?

If I can be that one voice crying out in the wilderness encouraging aspiring thru hikers to be thoroughly prepared and motivated for the realities of such a trip, then, perhaps, more will come home in one happy, confident, satisfied piece, even if they drop off the trail, they will have found what they sought.

Mtnned