[pct-l] Mosquitos- How bad are they really on the PCT?

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 00:35:45 CST 2009

the severity of skeeters variesfrom year to year, from only problematic in
certain areas to swarming and following along behind you and riding on your
pack, hat and so forth.  Elevation, melt off, and seasonal standing water
etc all factor in.  The worst I've seen the skeets in the Sierra has been
early July.  I've been bit up pretty good in the Lassen area also.  I've met
PCT hikers bit up pretty good down at Vidette Meadows north of Forrester a
couple times mid June.  Folks are coming throught the Sierra pretty early
season so it really depends howmuch snow pack is left and average daily
temps. Once the hatch starts it can get pretty bad within a week.  If
getting bit up pretty goodby Forrester or just beyond Rae Lakes on the north
side of Glen is a Skeeter pit.  Better safe than sorry if you can add some
kind of net toyour shelter and if the skeeters arepissed theonly thing that
works is deet or clothing, and I've been bit through my shoes, two layers of
clothing and socks.  Nylon travel hiking pants work good, and I like to wear
my floppy hat and light wind rain shell around camp or stopping to cook .  I
hate having a net over my face, but somtimes I'll bring thehead net anyway
and I just keep the very front rolled up over the brim of my hat thereby
keeping the side and back of myhead and neck covered.   I'd say on average
the bugs willbe getting ornery the Devil's postpile area.  If you are
packing reasonably light and keep moving it can be nice, but sooner or later
you'll have to stop, and they'll be waiting somewhere.  I just use deet when
it gets really bad as the skeets love me, and it can ruin my trip, so I move
as much as possible through the problem areas when I can and try only to use
the bug juice when I have to stop for a break and eat etc...
A few bites don't bother me, it's when I start getting bit in the face a
lot,ears, and on my hands. I got bit on the eye lid in Lassen and could not
see out of it or open it it was so puffed up.  So at least get something to
cover your head or face when sleeping.  And you want it raised up a little
so you don't get bit through the net.