[pct-l] Thru-Hiking the PCT-L

Wes Rose wb104475 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 23 01:20:54 CST 2009

Hi Len,

I do not believe that an exception to item #7 on your list is necessary since
the term "thru" is a compound modifier of "hike",  necessitating the
hyphen.

I am puzzled as to why you describe yourself as a "failed" PCT hiker?
After all, you covered more than 2000 miles, which to me is an awesome
accomplishment and worthy of the title "thru-hiker".  Fact is, the only flaw
with your trail journal was the lack of daily temperature readings.  : 0

Based on your criteria, I must sadly confess that I do not have what it takes
to be a PCT-L thru-hiker due to the failure of items 1,3,4 and 5.  Does that
mean that I cannot attend the AZDPCTKO?

Wes

[pct-l] Thru-Hiking the PCT-L
Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 23:43:17 CST 2009

  a.. Previous message: [pct-l] Mosquitos- How bad are they really on the PCT?
  b.. Next message: [pct-l] Mosquitoes, OR/WA, and the PCT
  c.. Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

What does it take to successfully thru-hike the PCT-L?  Glad you asked.

First, let me posit criteria that define a successful PCT-L thru-hike:

1. Must subscribe for at least at least 150 consecutive days, or about
5 months.. The typical PCT-L hiking season is considered 11-1 of year
'n' to 4-1 of year 'n+1'. Some may consider speed-hiking in as little
as the month of April. But those adopting the latter approach must
read all posts that they missed, in the archive. And they get an
asterisk by their name in the record book.

(Section hiking, i.e. subscribing for a month here and there, is
certainly feasible, but considered to be of little note.)

2.  Must read ALL posts, individually.  NOTE: Subscription in digest
format does not qualify.  No spam-blocking or its equivalent allowed.
Go big or go home.

3. Must read all posts within 24 hours of initial posting.  Rule
suspended during PCT-L outages.  Exception: one day per week, one can
defer the reading of the posts for 24 hours.

4. All postings by the prospective PCT-L thru-hiker must reflect the
following attributes :

   1. Thoughtful.
   2. Coherent.
   3. Considerate.
   4.  Informative (information-laden).
   5.  Humble.
   6.  Literate-spell checked*
   7.  Concise.

*Spell-checking is suspended for the qualifier 'thru-'. It must resume
again immediately after the '-'.

Do you have what it takes to successfully thru-hike the PCT-L?

Al Hanoca
Failed JMT, PCT, and PCT-L Thru-Hiker