[pct-l] What is a "Thru Hike?"

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 23 12:34:34 CST 2009

Good morning, Scott,

Near Hauser Canyon one fellow stepped off the trail a ways to take a squirt,
and when he came back he met the trail about 30 ft. ahead of where he left.
He made it to Manning that summer, but what a bummer:  He's apparently not a
thru-hiker.  Anyone who hikes the Crater Lake Rim Route rather than
following the"official" PCT flunks out also.  Same for following Eagle Creek
to Cascade Locks rather than following the PCT on Benson Plateau.  By that
standard there are lots of thru-cheaters out there.

Steel-Eye