[pct-l] What is a "Thru Hike?"

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 14:21:34 CST 2009

Amen, Scott. Border to border, any way you can.

Every year, there are trail closures for a variety of reasons. It will happen again this year. Often there are no alternatives but to hitch around those sections. You hike the trail that is available to hike. Border to border, any way you can.

The official PCT has a lot of optional alternate routes - like straight shot through the Mojave, the JMT and River Trail alternates between Reds Meadow and Thousand Island Lake, the Crater Lake Rim detour, or the Eagle Creek alternate. Go whichever way you want or are required to take. Border to border, any way you can.

How many through-hikers do you think actually walk the first 35 miles of the PCT in section H from highway 14 at the Bridge of the Gods (Cascade Locks, OR) to Panther Creek campground? My guess - virtually no one! It is far easier to make the 14.7 mile roadwalk thru Stevenson and rejoin the PCT where it crosses the road by the campground. This is without doubt the single most often by-passed part of the PCT. Border to border, any way you can.

Wandering Bob