[pct-l] What is a "Thru Hike?"

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 23 16:59:56 CST 2009

Good afternoon, Wandering Bob,

You're correct about people thinking they need to bypass the trail up to
Panther Creek by hiking the road, but I can't understand doing so.  First,
any kind of road-walking bothers my feet.  I'll willing hike much further on
a trail just to avoid pavement and gravely shoulders.  Second, I enjoy that
piece of trail.  I've done it as a hiker of course, but I've also been on
many PCTA work crews in that section.  I can hike along and remember the big
rock that isn't there anymore, the blow-downs that we bucked and pitched off
the trail, the endless brush that we cut back, and the water bars that we
mucked-out.  Last year above Panther Creek, between Crest Camp and Indian
Race Track, we finished an entirely new section of trail that was rerouted
to avoid some waist-deep washouts.

I suspect the biggest reason people go through Stevenson rather than
sticking to the PCT is to have a good reason to visit Walking Man Brewery.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the PCT since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye