[pct-l] thru/section hike(s)

jomike at cot.net jomike at cot.net
Mon Feb 23 17:37:37 CST 2009

A through hike is a continuous hike from one end of the trail to the
other in one season without skipping or flipping, except for sections
that are skipped due to official trail closures.

Anyone who did anything less than that still accomplished something
significant. Not calling it a through hike does not in any way diminish
the significance of the accomplishment, whatever it was.

Calling a section hike a through hike DOES diminish the accomplishments
of those who stuck it out for the whole 2650 miles.

As a section hiker, I agree with your assessment totally. There is no value judgment, just simple definitions of what took place. Webster's take on the two words: "section = a cutting or cutting apart; a part cut off; portion". "Through = in one side and out the other side; from the beginning to the end".

We could play word games till the cows come home but I think the above is rather explicit.

are we there yet