[pct-l] CAMERA Choices???

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 21:11:27 CST 2009

'pends what you consider nicer.
Let me offer a few of my thoughts for you to ponder since I am into
photography and backpacking.
I think about what kind of trip I am intending whether I am out to get the
best shots possible, a particular image in a particular place I've already
scouted some or want to shoot again, roaming point and shoot, more light
weight hiking oriented, etc...  This involves camera, lens and filter and
accesorry film options, tripod weight and so forth.  Am I going out to get
professional or advanced hobbyist type high end stuff, or just snap shots to
document my travels?  If I am hiking oriented and traveling light I'm taking
something I can use without camera support and leave the tripod in the
vehicle.  If I am into documenting my trip more and want some camp site
images I want a self timer.  If I want spectacular sunrise or sunset images
I'll need a filter kit and tripod and for those images I'd be more
photography oriented and plan my hiking around being in good locations for
these images at the end of the day, and not too blown that I haven't the
energy to get into it and work hard for the best compositions.  But point
and shoot can be really fun this way also esspecially during the afternoon
when clouds are moving fast and there's lot of shadows and mottled light and
texture in big mountain landscapes.  Kind of nice to have my tripod and 6x9
field camera kit then also, but it weighs 7 lbs complete with two lenses and
tripod (add a pound with bigger carbon tripod I occasionally use).  So that
baby is for upper end stuff.  On the other hand, it's full manual and no
batteries depending on which meter I decide I think I'll require.  I've
considered hauling it down the JMT but prefer four day trips with that set
up although I've hauled it cross country over some of the Sierra High Route
and stuff like that for weeks at a time, but wouldn't consider it for a long
multi-week trip or longer.  I may take a Nikon N-65 that weighs two pounds
with the better 28-105 Nikkor zoom, filter pack and tripod, but I'm starting
to get heavy again with all that and the little negative doesn't even come
close to that of the big medium format kit.  So that always gets me back to
concentrating on what kind of trip do I intend.  This last summer I tried
out using a Holga, which is a Chinese made junker with a plastic lens;
popular in the art photography scene for quite a few years now.  No
batteries and no meter.  This is where I get into "what do you consider
nicer?"  The camera is plastic, very light and uses 120 roll film.  Really
crappy images, but that's what makes some of them so neat.  It's all about
looking for images to use it with and composition when you find something
cool.   I do not intend to enlarge these very much, about 6x8" max ussually.
Which brings up another issue to think about.  What do you intend to do with
the images you shoot?  Big wall murals, or internet or email type stuff.
Some of my Holga images require a lot of time and care developing and
printing, and then split toning and dying. With a 35mm Nikon I might shoot
slides or B&W or both.  I take my little point and shoot Nikon Coolpix
digital if I want more of a trip document and email stuff (though I can scan
and post just about anything).  The point there is you don't need much
resolution, film size or pixels for email and the net, so something light
and easy with a zoom and self timer.  My little 4mp Nikon is overkill for
the net and email, and the SD cards are cheap and light.  On the other hand,
an 80 mb drum scan of my bigger 6x9 color images enlarge to 40" easily and
can go much bigger with a finer scan.  I also here digital SLR's require
heavy battery power.  I don't know much about them as all my upper end work
is done with mostly vintage equipment from 1900 to 1960 in medium and large
format film.  The issue for me is weight pure and simple.  If I want to hike
miles just for the joy of walking in the mountains, photography has to take
a back seat sometimes as I am small of frame and have back trouble and foot
problems that really shorten my distance and style of hiking by about half
or less depending on terrain.  I sometimes do a little of both and will hike
out to the car for a day or two and switch gears as did this last summer.  I
hurt my feet pretty bad on the photography outing and didn't get much to
boot.  I then put together a light pack and my 4oz Holga and had a super
good time. And actually got better photos though with a very different
approach and look to them.  With a lighter simpler no frills kit I was
enjoying the walking much more, and had more energy and creativity to seek
out photos as I walked along.  And here let me add an important part which
will show the dramatic difference in style between the two types of trips I
tend to do.  To set up, compose, meter, expose and put my field camera kit
away to hike onwards, requires on average about twenty minutes.  Three
images take an hour out of my day, or three miles of walking (depending of
course on the severity of terrain).  A lot more if setting up before dawn or
for an evening after sunset shot.  The point and shoot is simply that and
keep it in the top or accessible, and I'm on my way.  Huge difference.
But if you got this far through my shpeel, to answer your questions
directly, I'm intending to carry a Holga for light weight, absolute
simplicity, and speed.  It makes nice people photos also.  I don't really
have any use for twelve-thousand digital images on SD cards and prefer to
write in my journals of my personal expriences hiking and those I meet and
things that happen.  I've found it to be more rewarding to have a written
journal than a shoe box full of photos.
These are just my thoughts based on over ten years wandering the Sierra high
counrty, Utah canyons, and a few other places.  Just remember, whatever you
decide, you have to carry it and have the energy to enjoy what you can do
with it.  You can't eat your camera I've found out, and I've wished I could
a few times because I felt more like hiking than carrying the thing.
Take care,
Stephen